Welcome to the College of Southern Nevada!
We are delighted that you have chosen to pursue your academic career with CSN! Student Affairs is committed to meeting the needs of all students and will help you along the journey to achieving your academic goals. As you begin your academic experience, we hope that you take full advantage of the opportunities our institution has to offer.
Your next step to becoming a Coyote is to participate in orientation. Orientation is MANDATORY for all incoming first time in college students. Orientation will help answer questions that are common to new students, introduce you to student resources and services, connect you with faculty and staff, and put you on the path to a successful transition to CSN and college life.
At CSN, students have the option to complete orientation in-person through one of our CORE sessions OR Online.
IN-PERSON CORE SESSION
Coyote Orientation & Registration Events (CORE) are your opportunity to meet with advising staff, learn about campus resources, get help choosing your area of study or major, and connect with other CSN support services, faculty, and staff. During CORE, you will learn about CSN resources and policies, begin your career exploration, learn how to access and navigate campus technology, and meet with an Academic Advisor to create your first semester schedule. Parents can attend a parent/family orientation at specified CORE sessions.
Before you register to attend a CORE session, you must:
1. Complete CSN Math and English placement testing OR submit ACT or SAT scores that are no more than two (2) years old. For information on preparing for and scheduling placement tests, visit the CSN Testing Center webpage. Once you have completed testing or submitted your ACT/SAT scores, return to this page to register for CORE at the bottom of this webpage. There is no testing offered during CORE and your placement tests must be completed prior to attending.
2. Have access and be able to log into your GoCSN and MyCSN accounts. If you need help logging in, please visit MyCSN Help.
Once you have been officially admitted to CSN and have received your NSHE student ID number and password, you will be able to access the Online Orientation located in the home page of your MyCSN account. Available 24/7, the online orientation consists of six interactive segments covering academic programs, advising, course scheduling, online learning, paying for college, campus safety, and student support services. Progress through the orientation can be saved and is monitored. Answer all quiz questions before moving to the next segment. It takes approximately one hour to complete the online orientation.
To access the online orientation:
- Visit www.csn.edu and select "Login"
- Login to GoCSN with your username and password
- Select the MyCSN tile
- Login using your 10-digit NSHE ID# and password and select Sign In.
- Next, select Enter MyCSN Student Center
- Click on the Online Orientation link located at the bottom of the Student Center screen
Once you have completed the online orientation, you must complete CSN Math and English placement testing OR submit ACT or SAT scores that are no more than two (2) years old to the CSN Testing Center in order to schedule an appointment with an Academic Advisor.
Not sure about your major or area of study?
If you are unsure about your area of study, undecided on your specific major, or have not yet decided on your personal career path, we encourage you to complete a career assessment. You have access to a free career assessment by visiting the highlighted "Explore & Apply" button on the top right side of this webpage.
Whether you complete orientation in-person or online, our goal is for you to experience the following learning outcomes:
- Develop a value for the importance of community within CSN
- Enhance knowledge of career paths, degrees, and student success
- Cultivate an awareness and exposure to CSN campus resources
- Communicate students’ rights and responsibilities
- Understand where to locate academic advising help
- Enhance knowledge of student activities, student leadership and service-learning opportunities
- Complete the first steps enrollment process
ANNOUNCEMENT: CORE Registration for Spring 2019 has concluded. Registration to attend CORE SUMMER/FALL 2019 events will open in April 2019.