Leave Management

Sometimes we are faced with personal illness or other life events that require us to be away from work. The Division of Human Resources is available to assist you in understanding the different types of leave and managing the leave you choose. 

Administrative Leave


An appointing authority may grant administrative leave with pay to employees:

  • To relieve them of duties during the active investigation of a suspected criminal violation or an alleged wrongdoing
  • When the appointing authority initiates the leave, not to exceed 30 days, in order to obtain the results of an examination concerning the employee's ability to perform the essential functions of his position
  • To remove him from the work environment, not to exceed 30 days, when he has committed an act of violence or threatened to commit an act of violence
  • For up to 2 hours to donate blood
  • To relieve them of duties until the appointing authority receives the results of a screening test for alcohol or drugs. (NRS 284.4065)

An appointing authority or the Department of Personnel may grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  • Participation in, or attendance at, activities which are directly or indirectly related to the employee's job or employment with the State, but which do not require participation or attendance in an official capacity as a State employee
  • Closure of office or work site caused by a natural disaster or other similar adverse condition when the employee is scheduled and expected to be at work
  • Appearance as an aggrieved employee or a witness at a hearing of the Employee-Management Committee
  • Appearance as an appellant or a witness at a hearing to determine reasonableness of dismissal, demotion or suspension. (NRS 284.390)
  • Appearance to provide testimony at a meeting of the Personnel Commission

An appointing authority shall grant administrative leave with pay to an employee for:

  • The initial appointment and one follow-up visit to receive counseling through the Employee Assistance Program
  • Attendance at a health fair authorized by the board of the Public Employees' Benefits Program
  • Serving as a representative of State employees on a statutorily created board or commission
  • Up to eight hours to prepare for a hearing regarding the employee's suspension, demotion or dismissal. (NAC 284.589)


Bereavement Leave


For Classified Employees - If a member of the employee’s immediate family dies, he may use his accumulated sick leave, or request approval for catastrophic leave pursuant to NAC 284.562, not to exceed 5 working days for each death.

Immediate family (for this purpose) means the employee’s:

  • Parents
  • Spouse
  • Children
  • Brothers
  • Sisters
  • Grandparents
  • Great-grandparents
  • Uncles
  • Aunts
  • Grandchildren
  • Great-grandchildren
  • Nephews
  • Nieces
  • Father-in-law
  • Mother-in-law
  • Son-in-law
  • Daughter-in-law
  • Grandfather-in-law
  • Grandmother-in-law
  • Great-grandfather-in-law
  • Great-grandmother-in-law
  • Uncle-in-law
  • Aunt-in-law
  • Brother-in-law
  • Sister-in-law
  • Grandson-in-law
  • Grand-daughter-in-law
  • Nephew-in-law
  • Niece-in-law
  • Great-grandson-in-law
  • Great-granddaughter-in-law
  • Stepparents
  • Stepchildren

If a reasonable amount of additional time is needed for traveling related to funeral arrangements, the appointing authority shall approve an exception to this limitation.

Faculty and Professional Employees - If a member of the employee’s immediate family dies, he may use his accumulated sick leave, not to exceed 10 working days for each death.


Break Time for Nursing Mothers

Please note that the following break time requirement only applies to non-exempt employees/students, which includes Classified and Non-Exempt Professional Staff:

Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), employers covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) are now required to furnish “reasonable” breaks to nursing mothers to express milk for their infants.  Employers must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from co-workers and the public, which may be used by an employee/student to express breast milk.

In order to comply with the Act, the Office of Human Resources has designated an HR Representative to work directly with nursing mothers who would like to participate in this program.  Kathy Eghoian, Coordinator – Benefits, Department of Human Resources.  She can be reached at or (702) 651-7457.  For those who are interested in the program, please find attached the program guidelines, sample request letter and Department of Labor Fact Sheet.

Program Guidelines [pdf]

Sample Request Letter [pdf]

DOL Fact Sheet [pdf]


Catastrophic Leave

Catastrophic leave is available to classified employees who have used all of their sick leave, annual leave, and compensatory time. An employee must have a life-threatening illness or injury to receive catastrophic leave. Once approved for catastrophic leave, the office of human resources sends out a campus wide announcement asking for leave donations for that employee. 

While in catastrophic leave status:

  • The employee’s health insurance may continue
  • The employee does not accrue sick leave and annual leave
  • The employee might qualify for catastrophic leave and FMLA
  • The employee is able to receive up to 240 hours from the general catastrophic leave bank during a “rolling” 12-month period
  • The employee’s merit review date may be affected if on catastrophic leave for more than 240 hours
  • Additional catastrophic leave time (up to 800 hours) may be used if donations have been made directly for a specific employee’s use
Apply for Catastrophic Leave
To apply, contact the HR/Benefits Office at 651-7457. A representative will provide you with forms and provide guidance throughout the process.

Donate Hours to the Catastrophic Leave Bank
Only classified employees can donate leave hours to other classified staff. A classified employee may donate a maximum of 120 hours of annual leave or sick leave to the leave bank in any calendar year. An employee will not be permitted to donate time if his or her own sick leave balance falls below 240 hours as a result of a donation.
You also may earmark your donation for a specific employee who is approved for catastrophic leave. If your donation exceeds the amount approved for use by the employee, you will be contacted to determine whether you would prefer to have the excess leave returned to your leave account or added to the general bank.

Follow these steps to donate leave:

  1. Complete the application obtained from the HR Benefits Office.
  2. Submit the form to your supervisor, appointing authority, and leave keeper for review and approval
  3. Submit the completed and approved form to the Senior Specialist, Benefits, Office of Human Resources, W40E.


Civil Leave (Jury Duty, Voting, etc.)

Jury Duty or Witness in Court

In most cases, if you serve on a jury or as a witness in court or at an administrative hearing, you will be given civil leave with pay. You may keep all jury or witness fees paid to you except: 

  • If you are serving as a witness in your official capacity as a State employee, you  are required to relinquish any witness fee to your agency. (NAC 284.582) 
  • If you are a witness in an action to which you are a party, you will not receive civil  leave with pay unless it is job related. (NAC 284.582) 
Other Civil Leaves

Civil leave with pay will also be granted for the following: 

  • If you meet the conditions of NRS 293.463 and need time off to vote; 
  • If you meet the conditions of NRS 284.357 as a volunteer firefighter, emergency medical technician, volunteer ambulance driver or attendant, or reserve member of a police department or a sheriff's department; 
  • If your absence from the job is necessary to meet a disaster or emergency and it is approved by your appointing authority. (NAC 284.587)

Family Medical Leave (FMLA)

Under the federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), all employees can take up to 12 work weeks off for:

  • The birth or adoption of a child.
  • Serious personal health conditions.
  • Care for a family member with a serious health condition.
  • Military caregiver (up to 26 weeks).
  • Qualifying exigency leave.
FMLA does not provide any additional leave. It does protect your job while you are gone. Your job responsibilities, pay status, and/or working hours should not be changed upon your return to work.
Employees are eligible for FMLA if they have worked at CSN/NSHE for a total of 12 months and have worked for at least 1,250 hours (average of 24 hours per week) during the 12 months preceding the requested date of the leave.
Taking FMLA Leave
FMLA requests should be made at least 30 days in advance of the date the leave would begin. When advance notice is not possible due to unforeseen or emergency situations, requests should be made as soon as the time needed is known.
When on FMLA leave, employees may use accrued paid leave.  When paid leave is exhausted during the absence, the remaining FMLA leave will be designated as leave without pay.
FMLA may be taken all at once, intermittently, or on a reduced leave schedule (working less than the usual number of hours in a week) if medically necessary. An intermittent or reduced schedule to care for a new child should be coordinated with the manager of the employee and Human Resources.
Medical Benefits and FMLA 
Medical benefits will continue while on approved leave for FMLA. Employees are responsible for the employee portion of the health insurance premiums, which will be deducted during paid status. Arrangements to cover premiums during unpaid status can be made by contacting the CSN benefits office at 651-7457.

Returning to Work
An employee will be required to provide certification from a health care provider indicating fitness to return to work. Employees should contact the HR Senior Specialist/Benefits Office and their supervisor as soon as possible to arrange for return to work. At least two days’ advance notice will be required prior to return to active status.
Apply for FMLA
To apply for FMLA, complete a request for FMLA leave form and the appropriate FMLA medical certification and return it to the benefits office within 15 days. Failure to do so may delay approval of the leave.

Employees may be asked to provide periodic updates, and CSN may require a second medical opinion.

FMLA Employee Guide (Department of Labor)
Employee Rights and Responsibilities under FMLA Flyer [.pdf]
Request for FMLA Form (NPD-60) [.pdf]


Family Sick Leave

Faculty and Professional Employees

Up to 15 days per contract year of earned sick leave may be used to care for or assist family members within the third degree of relationship. Family sick leave does not apply if the leave is approved under FMLA.


Classified Employees

If there is an illness or a medical, optometric or dental service or examination in your immediate family requiring your attendance, you may use your accumulated sick leave not to exceed 120 hours in any one calendar year. The appointing authority may approve an exception to the120- hour limit for good cause. In addition, an employee is not subject to this 120-hour limitation if the leave is approved under the Family and Medical Leave Act. (NAC 284.558)



iLeave is a web-based leave tracking software system that allows CSN faculty and staff to submit their leave requests electronically. Once the leave is submitted, the department’s supervisor and/or appointing authority will be able to review and approve the request. The following enhancements will be visible for faculty and staff:

  • Leave information readily accessible on/off campus
  • Automatic leave balance updates
  • Automatic leave accrual
  • Access to schedule/estimate future leave
  • Access to view previously requested leave


To access the system you will use your Active Directory (AD) username and password (same as e-mail and computer log-in credentials).

iLeave introduction/screenshots [pdf]

iLeave video demonstration (employee submitting leave 0:00-2:00 / supervisor approving leave 2:00-end):sites.csn.edu/hr/ileavewindows.wmv [wmv] *

*Note:  Mac users can download the following component to watch wmv files through Quicktime player:


Please acknowledge that you have reviewed the information above by completing and submitting the following form:

iLeave Acknowledgement Form [pdf]


Leave without Pay

Faculty and Professional Employees

Faculty members who have more than one year of service may apply for leave of absence without pay for up to 12 months. See Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 3, Section 13.


Classified Employees

A leave of absence without pay may be approved for one year by the appointing authority for any satisfactory reason. The Personnel Commission, upon recommendation of the appointing authority, may grant a leave of absence without pay in excess of one year for purposes deemed beneficial to the public service. (NAC 284.578)


Long Term Disability

Long Term Disability Insurance for Active Participants

If you participate in the State of Nevada's PEBP–sponsored medical plan, the State provides Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance. This insurance is designed to help protect you against a loss of income in the event you become disabled and are unable to work for an extended period of time.

If your LTD claim is approved by The Standard, LTD benefits become payable at the end of the 180–day Benefit Waiting Period. No benefits are payable during the Benefit Waiting Period.

The monthly LTD benefit is based on your earnings from the State of Nevada. Your monthly LTD benefit is 60 percent of the first $12,500 of your monthly earnings, as defined in the group insurance policy, reduced by deductible income. See the LTD Certificate of Insurance for more detailed information.

The State of Nevada PEBP has chosen Standard Insurance Company to provide Life, AD&D, STD and LTD insurance coverage to eligible employees. Just as others count on you, you can count on Life, AD&D, STD and LTD insurance from The Standard to help protect your family in their time of need.


Military Leave

You will be given a leave of absence with pay for 15 working days in any one calendar year in order to perform active military duty.

If you are required to perform active military service during your employment with the State of Nevada, you will be granted a leave of absence. Please contact Human Resources if you are to be deployed 651-7467.


Paid Sick Time

Academic Faculty and Administrative Faculty

All full-time academic faculty and professional employees (A and B contracts) receive 30 days of sick leave the first day of employment. After the first year of employment, two days of sick leave per month are accrued. A maximum of 96 days of sick leave can be carried forward from one fiscal year to the next.


Sick leave is paid time off and may be used for:

  • Personal illness
  • Care of family members with illness, injury, medical, optometry, or dental appointments. Up to 15 days of sick leave may be used each year to care for family members
  • Death in the family - Faculty and professional employees may take up to 10 days of sick leave for the death of an immediate family member

Extended Sick Leave

For faculty and professional employees who have exhausted their sick leave and are unable to return to work, the university offers extended sick leave. Extended sick leave is paid leave granted by the university president. Depending on length of service and available funding, an employee could receive six months or more of extended sick leave.


Requesting Sick Leave

Faculty and professional employees request leave in a minimum of half-day increments. You must fill out the required leave forms and obtain approval from your supervisor.


Classified Employees

Full-time classified employees accumulate 10 hours of sick leave per month. Part-time classified employees earn a prorated sick leave based on full-time equivalent service. Sick leave may be used immediately after it is earned.


Leave is paid time for:

  • Personal illness
  • Care for family members with illness, injury, medical, optometry, or dental appointments
  • Death in the family

Requesting Sick Leave

You must fill out the required leave forms and obtain approval from your supervisor.


Paid Vacation Time

Academic Faculty and Administrative Faculty
Faculty and professional employees on “A” contracts receive two days of vacation leave per month.
Requesting Leave
You must fill out the required leave forms and submit them to your supervisor in advance.
Excess Annual Leave
A maximum of 48 days can be carried over from one fiscal year to the next. Annual leave that is accrued in excess of 48 days by the end of the fiscal year will be forfeited at the start of the new fiscal year.  To avoid forfeiture, a request for permission to take annual leave earned up through June 30th, must be submitted to your appointing authority no later than April 1.
Classified Employees
Annual leave for classified staff is based on the amount of years of service to the university. New employees are eligible to use leave after six months of full-time service. Part-time classified employees earn a prorated amount of annual leave based on full-time equivalent service.
Full-time classified employees earn annual leave at the following rates:
Years of Service
Annual Leave
Less than 10 years
10 hours each month
10 to 14 years
12 hours each month
15 years or more
14 hours each month
Requesting Leave
You must fill out the required leave forms and submit them to your supervisor in advance.

Excess Annual Leave
Classified employees who accrue annual leave in excess of 240 hours must use it on or before Jan. 1 or it will be forfeited. To avoid forfeiture, a request for permission to take annual leave must be submitted to your supervisor by Oct.15. If your leave was requested before Oct. 15 and is denied, you will be paid for annual leave in excess of 240 hours.


Short Term Disability

Short-Term Disability replaces a portion of your monthly income should you become totally disabled on a short-term basis. The plan provides benefits for up to 26 weeks. Short-term disability is offered through two vendors: American Fidelity and Standard Insurance.



Cases of injury or accident or illness in connection with the work of faculty and staff are covered by workers’ compensation statutes and regulations. In order to ensure this protection for out-of-state travel, requests should always be submitted in advance by staff members conducting NSHE business, attending meetings, etc., even if work is undertaken outside of work hours and at the professional staff member's own expense.


Workers Comp Leave

Workers' compensation is a benefit provided to employees who are injured as a result of performing their work duties. NSHE fully supports the right of every employee to file a workers' compensation claim when a work related injury or occupational disease occurs.

Filing of a workers' compensation claim is not to be used as grounds for disciplinary action. If you have questions about this policy please contact the workers' compensation office at (702) 895-5404 or (702) 895-4226 or click on the workers compensation link below.




Human Resources information contained on the World Wide Web is in no way to be interpreted as a contract between the College of Southern Nevada and any of its employees. This information is provided as a service to the CSN community and will change as CSN changes. From time to time, CSN must modify its policies. Information is current as of the time of its presentation and may be subject to change or repeal at any time, with or without notice, at the discretion of CSN.